Where have the last 6 months gone?! If you remember, back in April we listed our old house and within a week sh&* got real. We knew listing our home in this market would be great, but we also knew that finding our forever home would be almost impossible. The inventory was SO LOW and any house that was in our price range would go within a day (or hours).
Although we got super lucky with the sale of our house (8 offers) and above asking, we knew our next home wouldn’t be ‘forever’ but ‘for now’. So, finding a home in a great neighborhood that could sell in the future was our plan.
With that being said, that is how we decided on our Deerwood St. home. Here’s where my head is at with her.
- She’s only 6 years old and due to hail damage the week before closing we got a new roof :)
- The neighborhood is amazing and growing
- Love the floors in this house (no gross carpet anymore)!
- Open kitchen/dining/living/foyer
- Open space for a workout room in the basement
- Great view from my office
- Master bath with 2 sinks
- Porch with coverage & seating
- 3 car garage
- Closer to friends and family!
- A bit lacking in quality. From some windows, the basement finishing, no caulking was done, needs more insulation, builder-grade items
- The yard. We were so used to a beautiful tree-filled and private yard. With this one, I’m constantly looking at 4 houses around us and there isn’t a single tree in our yard.
- The landscaping. They didn’t do much..so, lot’s of work ahead!
- The paint..2 different colors in EVERY room
- No linen closet or pantry
- Non-insulated garage
- And some hiccups on closing day (missing washer & dryer and water leak in garage from the storm)
OUR NEW HOME
I’m going to go ahead and assume the hubs will turn down the idea of painting the garage doors (mainly for maintenance reasons), but it could make our house stand out from the rest of the crowd a bit ;)
The Porch Makeover
/ THE BEFORE /
I’m not going to lie, when we looked at the house for the first time, I didn’t even realize the porch was big enough for actual outdoor furniture. So, that was first on my list to tackle!
/ THE AFTER /
The Porch Details
LANDSCAPING // I’m personally not a fan of river rock right in the front of an entry/porch. So, although I’m not finished with the entire front. I did shovel a ton of that rock and replaced with mulch.
With planting 3 boxwoods, I decided to do 2 pre-dug planters. That way I can seasonally change them out!
/ THE FRONT DOOR /
I knew I wanted a black door again..just made the mistake of painting it high gloss black (need a matte to make the dents less noticable). We also installed a super nice stormdoor, which I love.
A lot of people wondered why we needed a storm door and the answer is simple. That is the ONLY source of natural light in our main living area in the afternoon and evening. It also helps some cross-breeze, which I love in Spring/Fall.
/ THE DECOR /
Other than that, I simply put my touch on it. From FINALLY getting outdoor furniture I love, to styling it with some cute seasonal touches (and a shot of Curry). I’ll share my sources below.