Hi friends, thought I would let you know that I’m sharing my newest desktop wallpaper designs over at Lark and Linen today! For obvious reasons I thought it would make the most sense to keep it simple with the word Thankful. So, I got out my watercolors and pencil and created a few options for you below!
I realized in the past year I’ve been asked quite often what are some of my favorite calligraphy and lettering supplies, so I thought today I would finally share my big supplies list with you! This will be a lengthy post because I’ll talk about calligraphy supplies for beginners, advanced products to play with, other calligraphy tools, as well as my favorite lettering supplies. My go to is Amazon or Paper Ink and Arts!
Calligraphy Supplies for Beginners
01. HIGGINS ETERNAL INK :: One of my favorites, as it’s not expensive and does a great job. HERE and HERE
02. STRAIGHT PEN HOLDER :: I recommend starting with a straight holder, which is also great for lefties HERE or HERE
03. BEGINNER NIBS :: Nikko G and Zebra G are great nibs to start with, they are sturdy. (pack of 10) HERE and HERE
04. RHODIA PAPER PAD :: Highly recommend getting the dot or line version to start with. HERE or HERE
05. WHITE INK :: Dr. PH Martins is my favorite. It is quite thick and requires adding water to liquify to your liking but definitely one of the best whites out there. HERE
ADVANCED CALLIGRAPHY SUPPLIES
01. WALNUT INK :: A Current favorite of mine, it has a vintage vibe to it HERE
02. OBLIQUE PEN HOLDER :: Great to use for a better angle and more advanced holder HERE or HERE
03. OTHER NIBS :: Some nibs work better with other forms of ink, like HERE, HERE, HERE or HERE
04. FINE TEC :: I recently started using this and see it commonly used and worth a try HERE or HERE
05. PEARL EX POWDER :: Love this for metallics! It requires mixing gum arabic and water :) HERE or HERE
06. GOUACHE :: Best to create colorful ink! Does require adding the correct water/paint ratio! HERE or HERE
07. GUM ARABIC :: For mixing with the 2 above! HERE
OTHER CALLIGRAPHY TOOLS
01. THE LETTERMATE :: For addressing envelopes HERE
02. GUM ARABIC :: For mixing with pigment, great for envelopes, reduce cracking HERE
03. CONTAINERS :: To store your beautiful mixed inks HERE or HERE
04. GLASS JARS :: To store all of your new nibs! HERE
05. LASER LEVEL :: To keep that straight line when writing on envelopes/etc. HERE
06. PRACTICE :: Printable Guides for practicing your letters (can be placed under paper pad) HERE
WATERCOLOR + BRUSH LETTERING SUPPLIES
01. WATERCOLOR :: I prefer tube paint over cakes, better vibrancy and transparency HERE or HERE
02. BRUSHES :: I prefer sable or sable/synthetic mix, typically for lettering I use #1 or #2 – HERE or HERE
03. THICK PAPER :: I prefer a slight texture (and fast drying) coldpress paper 140# HERE or HERE
04. WATERBRUSH :: My favorite to fill with water or colored ink is Kuretake Waterbrush Small HERE
05. COLOR BRUSH :: I use this for my messy brush script (and can be dipped into water for a more watercolor look) HERE
06. COCOIRO PEN :: Letter pen which mimics a calligraphy pen style by applying pressure! HERE or HERE
07. WHITE PEN :: Great for envelopes, fake calligraphy, etc..I use it quite a bit for projects! HERE
That’s about it, BUT let me know if you have any additional questions!!
Because it’s my favorite time of the year I thought I should share with you my chic Halloween party inspiration that I’ll be using for my little soiree this Friday! I’m such a fan of black and white (obviously) and created the invitation based on that, but now thinking to add a little hint of blood red! I still want it to look chic, so I’ll include simple touches of calligraphy or brush script, some black decor, a few spiders, red treats, and of course a signature cocktail! Take a peek at my Halloween PINTEREST BOARD for more ideas!!
Friends, I bought my first ever white pumpkins and couldn’t be more excited about them! I obviously knew they would get painted, that they would have some sort of calligraphy, and would definitely include black (it is Halloween and all). I was initially thinking of doing painted lace or even painted black flowers, but opted for doing some DIY cable knit pumpkins instead (my “how-to” is below). But really, who doesn’t love some simple calligraphy pumpkins!
I decided on doing a few cheeky ‘pun-kins’ in my brush script calligraphy and of course a painted dachshund..for my little Curry. Also, the reason why I love the Cable Knit pumpkins is because they can used up until Thanksgiving by simply adding a different ribbon to the top (gold, red, orange ribbon) or painted a different color.
As you can see it’s pretty simple, but oh so pretty! A few notes, I just used a white pen to draw the ‘cable knit’ pattern and used it more as a guide. It’s pretty delicate, so don’t touch it too much or else the glue will come off ;) I used 2 coats of acrylic paint, but I bet spray paint would look good too! Oh, the best part.. you have 2 sides, so if you don’t like one, try the other side!
When the ladies of Cherry Blossom Events reached out to me about collaborating on a ‘Fixer Upper‘ viewing party in Sarah’s newly renovated basement I couldn’t have been more excited! It was infused with that beautiful Magnolia style, including white shiplap, marble, hints of gold, natural wood, and touches of my calligraphy…it would make Joanna Gaines proud. So, in honor of a new basement and a new Fixer Upper season they got the ladies together to sip wine and watch the latest season in style.
After creating the marble inspired invitation and the customized magnolia leaf name tags they had me put my calligraphy on a few other fun items. We did vinyl calligraphy on the marble cutting board, custom made napkins, designed pillows, and ended the night with customized cupcake boxes to go! And P.S. how much do you want to just live in this basement!
Yep i’s that time of the month…time to pretty up your screens with a new desktop wallpaper! I couldn’t help but do some watercolor for this month because it just seems so fitting for the season (not sure why)? But with Thanksgiving and Christmas coming up I think it only makes sense for all of us to just be present. Be all in when your with your family, your friends, and your pets ;) So, head on over to Lark + Linen to get yours!